Halo: Reach (PC) Known Issues List Update: 12/6/19
Resolved Issues + Pending Hotfix
Server Relays Blocking Matchmaking: We received reports yesterday that players were having troubles finding matches with relays enabled. After further investigation, an issue was discovered, and as of this morning we believe this is now resolved. We will continue to monitor relay performance and matchmaking.
Microsoft Store and Game Pass App Missing Launch Options: The Game Pass team has been working to resolve an issue reported by some users who are unable to launch Reach within the Game Pass App. A hotfix is expected soon, and we’ll provide more info once we have it. In the meantime, if you are having an issue launching this, please follow the instructions outlined in this article for troubleshooting it.
Top Community Reported Issues
Audio Issues: Players have reported various issues regarding game audio not sounding as expected (muffled, inconsistent volume, low quality, etc.). This is a known issue present at launch and the team is working to resolve this. Unfortunately, it is not a quick fix and is one that will require quite a bit of work and time to resolve. The team is already working on it and will share an update when more progress and details are available.
Stuttering Issue: We are aware of reports where players are experiencing stuttering in game. We are investigating on our end and initially have found that some third-party software such as Corsair iCue, Logitech G-Hub, and Razer Synapse, may be a causing factor for in-game stuttering. We recommend disabling these programs to alleviate the issue.
If you are using the experimental Variable Frame Rate option, this could potentially be the cause. If you are experiencing stuttering while running this option, please visit the Halo Support site and create a ticket.
Menu Performance: We are aware of reports where players are experiencing performance drops in the menus outside of gameplay. We are investigating on our end but need more data points of this issue. If you are experiencing this problem, please visit the Halo Support site and create a ticket.
Screen-tearing / V-sync issues: The team is aware of issues around screen tearing and V-Sync not performing as expected for some users. As a reminder, if V-Sync is off, screen tearing will happen. In order to isolate this issue we would like users who are experiencing issues to please visit the Halo Support site and create a ticket.
Co-Op Latency: Co-op campaign play uses P2P networking and we’re aware that some players are reporting high latency and a poor experience when playing Campaign together. This is an area the team will continue to monitor but given the complexities of P2P networking and the underlying net code of Reach, the extent to which this issue can be addressed is still TBD.
EAC Error Messages in Game: Some users have been reporting various EAC error messages appearing while playing. This includes a “UE4 Critical Error,” “You’ve been banned” and others around map files. If you are experiencing any of these, please visit the Halo Support site and create a ticket.
We are currently investigating the UE4 critical errors and believe we have resolved the ban message appearing. If you are receiving the UE4 Critical Error, please make sure you are on the latest version of Windows. Error messages appearing for map files require you to resolve them as the local files have changed around these. In order to resolve these, we recommend you use the “Verify Files” options on Steam and to re-install the game on the Microsoft Store.
Key bindings: We’re aware that many players would like to be able to bind actions to more than one key. This is on the team’s to-do list and something they hope to get to in a post-launch update.
Mouse Input: We have been hearing from some users that mouse input feels delayed. In order to isolate this issue we would like users who are experiencing issues to please visit the Halo Support site and create a ticket.
Idle Stops Matchmaking Search: This feature is by-design and is done to prevent AKF/idle players from entering matchmaking. We will continue to monitor feedback around this but have no changes planned to this feature at this time.
View Model: We’re aware that when altering the default FOV the view model is larger and not scaling as players would like. We are aware of the community’s feedback regarding this and it has a longer lead time for the team to assess.
Can’t Crouch While Moving: The way crouching and moving works in Reach is currently true to the way it worked in the original game on Xbox 360. However, we understand this doesn’t necessarily meet player expectations on PC. We are currently testing and prototyping potential alternative solutions to address the community’s feedback around the inability to crouch while moving using mouse & keyboard.
Additional Known Issues
There is a known crash we are investigating on PC when exiting the title.
- Player’s character model appears to desync briefly when moving after an assassination.
- When using the narration feature, all menu options are not read for all screens.
- When playing Co-op or multiplayer, players will appear to play a falling animation when entering an elevator.
- Prior to installing Halo: Reach, users who participated in flights will want to delete all files at C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\LocalLow\MCC.
- Players friended only over Steam do not appear in the Roster (must be Xbox Live friends). You can join upon your friends through Steam’s friends list.
- To send an Xbox Live friend request you will need to use the Game Bar, Xbox Companion app, or add them at Xbox.com
- When launching in Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, or Korean the voice language pack may not install (Full KBA).
- If a capture card is set to the default audio input device, all PC audio will transmit over voice channel (Full KBA).
- Bluetooth headphones will prioritize communication audio after passing the main menu Full KBA).
- When moving the game’s window while in Fullscreen using the Windows, shift, and arrow keys it can cause the game to appear as a still image.
- Cutscenes during Tip of the Spear can see performance drops using AMD graphics cards.
- When trying to “Save As” File Share game types and maps that are not Halo: Reach they appear corrupted on relaunch of Halo: Reach. This is because you don’t have the content required to play them.
- Uninstalling the Steam version of the game with the Microsoft Store version installed will remove the Easy Anti-Cheat client and make the Microsoft Store game be unplayable. To resolve this please uninstall and re-install the Microsoft Store version.
Won’t Fix and By Design Known Issues
- With the Duke control scheme Switch grenade is mapped to LB and Flashlight is mapped to RB
- When attempting to join friends using Steam’s friends list or overlay your party will not be brought with you. To alleviate, join friends through your Xbox Live Roster in game.
- Players who have picked up the active camo powerup are easier to see when moving on non-title update (vanilla) settings than title update (TU) settings
- When entering full screen for the first time if previously snapped to half of a screen on 4k monitors, the game will not display properly when entering full screen. Simply Alt + Enter to resolve this.
- There is no way to rebind the pause function