Updated: July 20, 2023
Latest release: July 20 Patch
The following changes were made in the July 20, 2023 patch:
- Halo: The Master Chief Collection for PC no longer crashes on launch when installed to a drive using the exFAT file system.
- The Fidelity FX Super Resolution setting has been moved to the Experimental Settings section of the Video settings menu.
- On PC, the Framerate Limit option has been moved to the Video Settings section of this menu.
- Firefight maps and Halo 3: ODST content are no longer deselected by default in the Firefight Custom Game Browser’s Filter menu.
Halo: Combat Evolved
- Selecting a non-default value for the Field-of-View (FOV) setting no longer causes Halo: Combat Evolved campaign cutscenes to have the incorrect FOV.
Halo 2: Classic Multiplayer
- Rebinding the “Scoreboard” function now works as expected on mouse and keyboard.
Halo 2: Anniversary
- Rebinding the “Toggle Visuals” function now works as expected on mouse and keyboard.
Halo 3: ODST
- Rebinding the “Toggle VISR Database” function now works as expected on mouse and keyboard.
- The “Toggle VISR Database” function can now be reassigned to another gamepad button in the Edit Layout sub-menu.
- In Firefight sessions, the Bonus Round score counter now starts at 0 points.
- When playing the campaign mission Long Night of Solace with a gamepad, the tooltip displaying the controls for the Sabre’s evasive maneuvers now uses a clearer icon for the left joystick.
- When playing with a mouse and keyboard, rebinding the “Armor Ability” function to the same key as “Vehicle Function 1” no longer results in the Sprint Armor Ability ending without player input.
- Players will now consistently spawn on teammates in the Invasion, Buddy Slayer, and Race game modes rather than standard respawn points.
Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta)
- The Motion Tracker no longer appears in unintended locations during gameplay.
- Shared.map and campaign.map overrides for mods containing copies are now respected for all titles consistently.
- Players using a non-English voice language setting will no longer experience a crash upon accessing English-only modded content for Halo 2: Classic.
- The Invisibility equipment and Overshields now work as expected when added to Halo 3: ODST campaign missions.
- Players using a mouse and keyboard can now fire their vehicle’s secondary weapon as expected in the Standalone version of Halo: Combat Evolved.
- Font icon files added to each game’s font folder will now function as expected for all titles.
- If you’ve created a mod for Halo: The Master Chief Collection, you will need to update your mod’s Max Game Version using the Excession tool. If your mod is not updated, it will not appear in-game for any players who are playing on the latest build. To ensure your mod appears in-game, update the Max Game Version field to the new build number: 1.3251.0.0
Mod creators will need to set the Max Game Version in Excession to the latest build number for their mod to appear in-game.
Download Size by Platform
- Xbox consoles: approximately 11.5 GB or less
- Microsoft Store app or Xbox app on PC: approximately 11.3 GB or more
- Steam: approximately 62 MB or less
Table of Contents
- Game Version Number and Download Size
- Overview and New Features
- Firefight Custom Game Browser
- Player Count Increase for Custom Firefight Sessions
- Join Firefight Matches In-Progress
- Skull Changes
- Halo 3 Escalation Slayer
- New Halo 3 Forge Content
- New Custom Game Settings
- Experimental Halo 4 Campaign and Spartan Ops Theater Compatibility
- Campaign Collectibles in Halo 2
- Gamepad Remapping
- Improved Settings Changed Prompt
- Modding Tools and Previously Unreleased Content
- Resolved Issues and Bug Fixes
- Known Issues
- More Information About this Update and Further Resources
Updated Game Version: 1.3251.0
Download Size by Platform
- Xbox consoles: approximately 27.1 GB or less
- Microsoft Store app or Xbox app on PC: approximately 30 GB or less
- Steam: approximately 12.4 GB or less
Update Overview and New Features
This update brings dozens of bug fixes and several new features to Halo: The Master Chief Collection. For a full list of this update’s bug fixes, see the Resolved Issues section below. New features included in this update are:
Firefight Custom Game Browser
Players can now join custom Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach Firefight sessions in a new Firefight Custom Game Browser (CGB). Various Firefight settings can be customized prior to the start of each match, including the number of enemy waves, the types of enemies that spawn during each wave, weapon loadouts, and much more.
Navigate to the Firefight menu then select "Browse Custom Firefight" to view the Firefight Custom Game Browser.
Player Count Increase for Custom Firefight Sessions
The max player count for Custom Firefight sessions in both Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach has been increased from four players to eight players. Enemy counts and difficulty do not scale with this increase in player count, and this increase does not apply to matchmade Firefight sessions.
Screenshot of eight ODSTs battling the Covenant on the Firefight map Security Zone.
Join Firefight Matches In-Progress
Players can also join Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach Firefight matches that are already in progress. This applies to all Custom Game Firefight sessions, including those featured in the Firefight Custom Game Browser.
Additionally, players can now rejoin a matchmade Firefight session they were either disconnected from or intentionally left, so long as the game is still in progress. To rejoin an in-progress matchmaking session, requeue for matchmaking in the Firefight menu and select "Rejoin" on the pop-up to rejoin the match.
Acrophobia Skull in Halo: Combat Evolved
The Acrophobia Skull has been added to the Halo: Combat Evolved Campaign. The Acrophobia Skull allows players to fly through the air after double pressing then holding the jump button or key. Once in the air, press the crouch button or key to hover in place.
The Acrophobia Skull allows players to fly through the air while they are on foot in campaign missions.
Hunter Boarding in Halo 2: Anniversary with the Bandanna Skull
Enabling the Bandanna Skull in Halo 2: Anniversary now allows players to board enemy Hunters' backs and plant grenades.
When the Bandanna Skull is enabled during a Halo 2: Anniversary Campaign mission, approach the back of an enemy Hunter then use the button in the onscreen prompt to board it.
Halo 3 Escalation Slayer
Escalation Slayer is now available in Halo 3 Matchmaking and Custom Games.
In Escalation Slayer, players progress through a series of weapons by earning kills with each one. When a player gets a kill with the final weapon, they win the round. You can also downgrade opponents to the previous weapon tier by assassinating them or sticking them with a Plasma Grenade.
Screenshot of Halo 3 Escalation Slayer on the multiplayer map Longshore.
New Halo 3 Forge Content
Additional content is now available for players to use in Forge. These new objects can be placed in every Multiplayer map featured in Halo 3 via Forge mode. This includes:
- The Invincibility, Cloaking, and Auto Turret Equipment included in the Halo 3 Campaign.
- The Golf Club, Flamethrower, Missile Pod, Machinegun Turret, and Plasma Turret weapons that were previously available only on select Halo 3 Multiplayer maps.
New Custom Game Settings
Players can now disable waves of enemies in Halo: Reach Firefight using a new Custom Game option. This setting can be found under the Wave Limit section of the Firefight Settings menu.
Disabling waves of enemies results in a PvP Firefight experience.
A brand-new setting is now available for Halo 3 Custom Games called "Invulnerable (MCC)." This setting allows players to become immune to assassinations.
In addition, players can now set the Golf Club as the Primary Weapon via the Custom Game options.
Experimental Halo 4 Campaign and Spartan Ops Theater Compatibility
Players can now view replays of their Halo 4 Campaign and Spartan Ops sessions in Theater mode.
This feature has been tested internally, but the team requires additional insight from real players. If you encounter any issues with this feature, please submit a Halo Support ticket.
Screenshot of the Halo 4 campaign mission Midnight in Theater mode.
Campaign Collectibles in Halo 2
Golden Moa statues have been added to Halo 2 campaign missions. These statues will appear in different missions each week and can be collected by shooting them. Rotating weekly challenges will reward players with 100,000 XP and 1 Spartan Point for finding and collecting these hidden Golden Moa statues.
To view a list of the campaign missions with hidden Golden Moa statues each week, visit the Weekly PVE tab of the Challenge Hub menu in-game.
Gameplay actions can now be reassigned to different buttons on controller. This will allow players to create a personalized button layout, which is then saved automatically under the Custom layout.
Navigate to the Controls tab of the Settings menu to edit a controller layout.
To create a Custom button layout for one of the games included in Halo: MCC, follow the steps below:
- Launch Halo: MCC.
- Select Options & Career.
- Select Settings.
- Navigate to the Controls tab.
- Select Configure Gamepad.
- Under Gameplay, select which game you would like to reconfigure the controls to.
- Using the Button Layout option, select a controller layout to modify.
- Select Edit Layout.
- Modify the inputs to suit your personal preference.
Improved Settings Changed Prompt
If players change their settings and attempt to back out of the Settings menu without confirming their changes, the confirmation prompt now lists which settings have been changed. The prompt will inform players that certain sections of the settings menu have been modified and will ask if they wish to Save Settings or Discard Changes.
Modding Tools and Previously Unreleased Content
Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2 Cut Content
343 Industries has compiled a collection of pre-release or cut content from Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2. Included in this collection are never-before-released vehicles, weapons, enemies, and maps.
Screenshot of a previously unreleased Spartan model driving a Warthog through the "Spasm" environment.
To learn more about this content and the process of releasing it, please visit the Digsite Deliveries blog on Halo Waypoint.
This content is included in the MCC mod tools available via Steam. Licensing for the Halo: CE mod tools remains open to anyone who is interested in creating content for Halo: CE. For Halo 2 and Halo 3, you will need to own a license to the base game in Steam to gain access to the tools. The Halo: CE mod tools are available to anyone, regardless of which titles they own in Halo: The Master Chief Collection.
Follow the steps below to download the Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2 mod tools, which include this content:
- Launch Steam on your PC.
- In Steam's Library menu, select the dropdown below the Home button in the lefthand sidebar then check the Tools checkbox.
- To the right of this dropdown is a button with a Play icon within a circle (pictured below):
When active, this icon appears blue and only shows software that is installed and ready to launch. Disable this filter to show all uninstalled tools.
- Once the filter mentioned above is disabled, locate “Halo: CE Mod Tools - MCC” and "Halo 2 Mod Tools - MCC" in the list.
- Install either or both Mod Tool packages to gain access to that title's previously unreleased content.
Unreleased Halo Online Maps
Three maps that were previously included as part of Halo Online are now available for the modding community to use. These maps include Lockout, Reactor, and Skybridge.
New Halo 3 Modding Content
New modding content specifically for Halo 3 is now available. This includes:
- Health Pack equipment, similar to what's featured in Halo 3: ODST, can now be added to modded maps.
- Larger vehicles, such as the Scarab Tank, now function as intended in modded multiplayer sessions.
Players can now add custom background videos for certain menus within Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Any background videos added via mods will be maintained when launching the game with Easy Anti-Cheat enabled.
Background videos can be added to the following menus:
- Main Menu
- Halo: Reach
- Halo: Combat Evolved
- Halo 2: Classic
- Halo 2: Anniversary
- Halo 3
- Halo 3: ODST
- Halo 4
Use the Excession modding tool (pictured above) to add new Background Videos for various in-game menus.
Add New Gamepad Button Layouts
Using the Excession tool, players can now create new gamepad button layouts that can be selected in-game via the Controls tab of the Settings menu.
Use the Excession modding tool (pictured above) to create new gamepad button layouts.
Modded Map Support for the Roster menu and Friends List
When playing a Custom Game on a modded map, other players will now see that you are playing on a "User-Generated Map" in the in-game Roster menu and the Friends List on Steam and Xbox.
Maximum Multiplayer Teams
Modders now have the ability to manipulate the maximum number of multiplayer teams that can occupy a map they have created.
Overriding Shared Files
Mods can now override shared files.
Custom Sound Files
FMOD Sound Banks featured in Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, and Halo: Reach can now be replaced with custom sound files.
Resolved Issues and Bug Fixes
- The amount of time it takes to activate Machinima controls is now in parity with each game that features them. Machinima controls allow players to lower the weapon they have equipped.
- The following games support Machinima controls: Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo: Reach, and Halo 4.
- The "Zombie Prevention" challenge, which requires players to perform 500 headshots during Matchmaking, can now be earned using any precision weapon found in each of the supported games.
- Precision weapons include sniper rifles, semi-automatic rifles, and other scoped weapons.
- This Challenge can be completed in all PvP matchmaking modes included in Halo: The Master Chief Collection.
- This fix was originally released via a backend update in January 2023.
- Players' last selected Emblems and Avatars are now maintained after the "Game and app history" setting on Xbox consoles is set to Block.
- Secondary and Guest players on Xbox consoles will now receive a warning message after their controller has been disconnected.
- The post-match Rewards screen now supports ultrawide aspect ratios.
Custom Game Browser
- Players can now view their most recent Post-Game Carnage Report (PGCR) from the Custom Game Browser menu by selecting the corresponding button prompt at the bottom of the screen.
- Background video selections are less likely to be reset after closing and relaunching Halo: The Master Chief Collection.
- Players now return to the Video Background submenu after selecting a new Video Background.
- Performance on Xbox One consoles with Menu Narration enabled has been improved.
- New profiles will retain any progress made on Campaign playlists, as well as any changes made to player Settings and Customization, after restarting Halo: MCC.
- The name of the Casimir Pulaski 2023 Nameplate now displays correctly when viewing it with a non-English language setting enabled.
- Steam Deck players are now able to enter subsequent multiplayer sessions after a non-Steam Deck player has exited the previous session.
Halo: Combat Evolved
- The Plasma Rifle is now able to stun enemies more consistently during online Multiplayer matches.
- Resolved a memory leak in Halo: Combat Evolved Campaign missions.
- Multiple improvements to cutscene letterboxing throughout Halo: Combat Evolved Campaign missions.
- Objects and characters no longer appear in incorrect positions during the opening cinematic of the mission Pillar of Autumn when Remastered graphics are enabled.
Halo 2: Classic Multiplayer
- Carrying the flag in a Capture the Flag match no longer results in pixelated noise appearing within the lights on Elites' arms.
Halo 2: Anniversary
- Lighting and shadows have been updated to closer align with the original release of Halo 2 on Xbox.
- Campaign Co-Op sessions are now less likely to crash when playing through the mission The Oracle.
- Graphical artifacts no longer appear around the Arbiter's arms and equipped weapons when playing through the mission Sacred Icon.
- Players are now less likely to encounter a "Network Disconnect" error message while playing through the mission Quarantine Zone in Campaign Co-Op.
- The sound effect of a Hunter charging up its cannon now consistently plays during Campaign missions.
- Players are now less likely to be stuck at "Respawning in 0" after getting killed during a matchmaking session.
- PC players are less likely to crash when loading into the Stonetown multiplayer map via crossplay.
- Searching for a Shotty Snipers match no longer places players into Recon Slayer matches.
- Shotty Snipers is a rotational playlist that cycles in and out of matchmaking. Stay tuned to @Halo on Twitter for the latest updates on which playlists have rotated into matchmaking.
- This fix was originally released via a backend update in April 2023.
Halo 3: ODST
- When viewing a theater film of a Halo 3: ODST Firefight match on PC, the Flying Camera mode is now less likely to become stuck to a player when they use a mounted turret.
- The "Bonus Lives Awarded at X points" text now consistently appears above the bonus round time and score on the player's Heads-Up Display (HUD).
- On-screen button prompts now appear at a higher visual quality, making it easier for players to identify them.
- The following improvements have been made to the campaign mission Long Night of Solace:
- The battle between Seraphs and anti-aircraft guns above the beach is now visible.
- The Pelican and Spirit that drop off Marine and Covenant reinforcements within the base now appear consistently.
- Players are less likely to experience a crash when entering the passenger seat of any vehicle during a Multiplayer or Firefight match on a modded map.
- In Headhunter matches, obtaining a tenth skull then returning it to the designated deposit zone now consistently awards the Skullamanjaro medal.
- The name of the selected Firefight variant now consistently displays when players are selecting a loadout at the start of a Custom Firefight match.
- Players who have run out of lives are now less likely to spawn outside the map after the remaining players have finished clearing the current wave of enemies.
This update includes several new known issues:
- Rarely, PC players with an NVIDIA graphics card installed may crash during matchmaking sessions.
- When playing in windowed mode on a PC with dual monitors, adjusting the game resolution while one of the monitors is disabled may cause graphical distortion.
- Workaround: enable Fullscreen mode via the Settings menu.
- A crash may occur while attempting to sign-in to Halo: The Master Chief Collection via Steam with a profile that's already signed in on an Xbox console.
- A "Controller Disconnected" prompt may appear after switching profiles on an Xbox console via the Xbox Mini-Guide.
- When playing via Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta) on a touch screen device, enabling touch screen controls may cause the touch screen controls to apply to additional players.
Custom Game Browser
- Players will be taken to the Browse menu after selecting the Custom Game Browser button via the Firefight menu.
- To create a Firefight session in the Custom Game Browser, follow the steps below:
- Launch Halo: MCC.
- Select Multiplayer.
- Select Custom Game Browser.
- Select Create.
- Custom Game Browser tags may only apply when players have selected tags from both the Advanced Settings and Filter menu simultaneously.
- A crash may occur when players launch Halo: MCC with Narrator enabled via Windows Settings and either rapidly cycle between tabs in the Settings menu or attempt to modify a controller layout.
- When starting a new Campaign Co-Op session on Steam Deck, players are not warned that crossplay between Steam Deck and other platforms is not fully supported.
Halo 2: Anniversary
- The Select Next Grenades action does not function with any of the established layouts for Halo 2: Anniversary or when bound to a selected button via Custom layout with any of the controller layout presets for Halo 2: Anniversary.
- The Flare equipment produces a significant amount of light, which can negatively impact players with light sensitivity.
- Coordinate controls, the button combination that brings up in-game coordinates, are not supported on mouse and keyboard for the following titles: Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo: Reach, and Halo 4.
- Machinima controls, the button combination that allows players to lower their weapon in-game, are not supported on mouse and keyboard for the following titles: Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo: Reach, and Halo 4.
- Firing the Fuel Rod cannon towards the ground at a low angle may result in the projectile not appearing for some players in a multiplayer match.
Halo 3: ODST
- When joining a Firefight match via the Custom Game Browser, there is no message in Spectator mode informing players that they will join once the current wave of enemies has been eliminated.
- The "Boot Player" prompt may continue to appear after the player initially dismisses it if they were killed by a teammate during a Firefight match with no lives remaining.
- Rarely, the movement animations for both Brutes and Grunts will break after they exit a drop pod during a Firefight match.
- When a player exits a Campaign Co-Op session comprised of at least three players, the other players' screens may freeze.
- Workaround: close and relaunch Halo: The Master Chief Collection.
More Information About this Update
If you’ve encountered a bug in-game, submit a Halo Support ticket so that the development team can investigate the issue. Thank you to all ticket submitters for their bug reports and feedback!
Many platforms automatically update games. See Updating Halo: The Master Chief Collection on PC for detailed instructions for how to manually update your game on Steam or the Microsoft Store app.
We have a range of player guides and other support articles for Halo: The Master Chief Collection, including:
- Quick Start Guide for Halo: The Master Chief Collection
- How to change Field-of-View (FOV) options in Halo: The Master Chief Collection
- What is the difference between "co-op," Firefight, and Spartan Ops in Halo: The Master Chief Collection?
- How to change your display settings in Halo: The Master Chief Collection
- Halo Spartan Code
- End User License Agreement for Halo: The Master Chief Collection
- If you experience problems with your Xbox console or Game Pass, Xbox Support can help you.
- If you have problems with your account, Microsoft or Xbox purchases, Microsoft Support can help you.
- If you have problems with other purchases, please contact the retailer you purchased your game from.
- If you experience a problem in Steam that is not an in-game issue, please contact Steam Support.
- If you want a chance to participate in future MCC flights, sign up for the Halo Insider Program.