Updated: November 19, 2021
Halo Infinite multiplayer is now available as a free public beta. For instructions on how to download and install the game check the article How to install Halo Infinite multiplayer on PC and Xbox consoles. PC players should also refer to the PC hardware specifications and recommended drivers for Halo Infinite.
This release includes eleven different multiplayer modes between Arena and Big Team Battle. Each mode has different challenges and victory conditions.
Arena multiplayer for up to 8 players includes:
- Capture the Flag
- Live Fire
- Launch Site
Big Team Battle (BTB) for up to 24 players includes:
- Total Control
- Capture the Flag
- High Power
You can find out more about how these modes are played in our Guide to Halo Infinite multiplayer game mode rules.
Halo Support has a range of new player guides and other support articles for Halo Infinite.
Working with the developers, we have compiled a list of known issues. A few of the highest impact issues are:
- The Background Recording feature in Windows 10 and the Record What Happened feature in Windows 11 can cause performance issues when enabled.
- Turning these features off improves performance. They can be turned off in the Capture Settings menu in Windows 10 and the Captures menu in Windows 11.
- Some first-person animations may stutter at 60 FPS or higher.
- In Ranked Arena playlists, completed matches occasionally do not count toward your rank and will not show in the stats at the end of the match.
- Plugging in a mouse & keyboard during an active game session on an Xbox console locks the player to a 45 degree look radius.
- This issue does not occur if the mouse is already plugged in when the game is launched.
For a full list of known issues for Halo Infinite go to our Known Issues.
An update for the Halo Infinite Multiplayer Beta was released on November 19th, 2021, at 8 AM PT. The following improvements and fixes were included in this update:
- Halo Credits purchased outside of Steam, for example in the Microsoft Store, are now reflected when playing Halo Infinite on Steam
- Oddball rounds now have a 5-minute timer in matchmaking
- Stability improvements in Big Team Battle matches
- Various service-related improvements
Expected download size for the update:
- Microsoft Store and Xbox app: max size of 720mb
- Xbox consoles: max size of 710mb
- Steam: max size of 130mb
This update must be installed to continue playing online. For instructions on how to download this update, please refer to How to update Halo Infinite.
Challenge and Progression Changes
The team made several Challenge and progression updates on November 18th, 2021. Players now earn XP by completing matchmade games. The "Play 1 Game" Daily Challenge is worth 50 XP each match. The pool of available Challenges was also updated to better serve players of all skill levels.
XP Boosts were increased to 1 hour. The in-game tooltip may continue to show 30 minutes, but the Boost's timer will start from 60 minutes once activated.
The team also resolved issues with the following Challenges that meant progress was not tracked:
- Heat of the Moment
- It Bears Repeating
- Jorge Would Be Proud
- Ultra Tech
All players who sign-in between November 23-30 will receive that week's Ultimate Reward: The Sigil Mark VII Visor.
When there is a balance change in future updates, Halo Support will include these in our release notes.
- If you experience problems with your Xbox console or Game Pass, Xbox Support can help you.
- If you have problems with your account or purchases, Microsoft Support can help you.
- If you experience a problem in Steam that is not an in-game issue, please contact Steam Support.
- Halo Infinite (Campaign) is available for pre-order and will go live on December 8.
- If you missed out on Halo Infinite Tech Previews this summer and want a chance to participate in future flights, sign up for the Halo Insider Program