In this article:
- Playing with friends using matchmaking
- Playing with friends in a Custom Game
- Playing with friends using split-screen on the same Xbox console
For help adding someone’s gamertag to your friends list on your Xbox account, please go to How to add new Xbox friends at Xbox Support.
Playing with friends using matchmaking
- Select Multiplayer from the main menu
- Press Tab (on keyboard), navigate to the plus sign under Fireteam or press the view button on Xbox controller. This will open the Social menu.
- Switch to the Friends or Recent tab to view Gamertags you can invite to your Fireteam (your party).
- Select the Gamertag you would like to invite to your Fireteam
- In the Player Options menu select Invite to invite a player into your Fireteam (select Join to join their Fireteam)
- If the player accepts your invitation, they will be added to your Fireteam and will appear under the Fireteam tab
- Close the Social menu
- Choose a multiplayer playlist
- Select Play. Your Fireteam will load into the same match and be on the same team, where possible.
Playing with friends in a Custom Game
- Select Custom Game from the main menu
- Customize your game ruleset with the Mode Editor, Map, Lobby Options, and Server menus
- In Lobby options select whether your game will be friends only, or invitation only. By default, it will be friends only.
Multiplayer with friends using split-screen on the same Xbox console
On Xbox One consoles, split-screen supports 2 players.
On Xbox Series X|S consoles, up to 4 players can play split-screen in 8-player game modes and up to 2 players can play split-screen for Big Team Battle.
To play split-screen in any mode:
- Turn on a second Xbox controller synced to your Xbox console
- Press the Menu button on that controller
- Log into a second Xbox account using the second controller. (You cannot use Xbox guest accounts in Halo Infinite multiplayer.
- The second player will be added to your Fireteam (party) locally and join you in any multiplayer mode that supports split-screen