If you are visiting this page after seeing an in-game message, then your Fireteam has players with too wide of a Competitive Skill Rank (CSR) for Ranked matchmaking. This Fireteam CSR limit is dependent on the highest skilled member of the Fireteam and can vary depending on their CSR. To help preserve the quality of Ranked matches, please make sure the members of your Fireteam fall within the limits outlined below before entering matchmaking.
Playing with your friends in a Fireteam is the best way to play Halo, so we generally allow Fireteams with widely different skills to play together. However, there are cases where a Fireteam that contains an extremely high-skilled and much lower skilled player can cause problems for everyone's enjoyment of Ranked games. As a result, we have introduced some limits on the difference in Competitive Skill Rank (CSR) between members of a Fireteam.
The Fireteam CSR limit range is applied based off the highest-ranked player in the Fireteam, and works like this:
- For 899 CSR (Gold 6) or lower, there are no restrictions.
- At 900 CSR (Platinum 1), a limit of 900 points is introduced.
- Between 900 CSR (Platinum 1) and 1500 CSR (Onyx), the Fireteam CSR limit will slowly tighten as you climb the ranks. It will start at the 900 limit mentioned above and tighten to its final destination of 600. This essentially means that on the way to Onyx, every 2 CSR gained will tighten the Fireteam limit by an increment of 1 CSR.
- For example, if a player progresses from 900 CSR (Platinum 1) to 1200 CSR (Diamond 1), their Fireteam CSR limit would tighten from 900 to a stricter 750. At this new 1200 CSR, the lowest rank they could party up with would then be 1200 (their CSR) - 750 (the Fireteam CSR limit) = 450, or Silver 4.
- At 1500 CSR and above, the limit is 600 points.
- For example, if a player was Onyx 1700, the lowest CSR they could party up with would be 1100, or Platinum 5.
- At 1600 CSR and above, the Fireteam size for Ranked playlists is reduced to a maximum of 2 players.
Players who have not yet qualified for the current CSR season (played their 5 qualifying matches to establish a starting CSR) are treated specially. Unranked players can only fireteam with other not-yet-qualified players, and with qualified players up to 899 CSR (Gold 6).
These limits were designed to be reasonably loose at first, but we will consider adjusting them depending on player feedback and match data. Please feel free to provide your input on the Halo Infinite forums on Halo Waypoint.
Please note: Competitive Skill Rank (CSR) is not exactly the same as MatchMaking Rating (MMR), but they are very closely related. To learn more about how these systems work together, please head to aka.ms/HIRankedExperience.