The following are active issues for Halo: The Master Chief Collection as of 4/6/2023 in build 1.3073.0.0.
Issues from Halo Support tickets
The issues in this section are being investigated further because of tickets players submitted to Halo Support.
For the first three issues below: if you encounter them, please submit a ticket with info including a timestamp for when the issue happened, the game mode, and the map. This will help us investigate them further:
- Rarely, a player can be disconnected from matchmaking after loading the map but before the gameplay starts. This also results in a short temporary matchmaking ban.
- Rarely, players can be “dropped” mid-match and are stuck on a loading screen until the match ends.
- Players can be kicked from matchmaking with a “Leaving…” notification as soon as the lobby is full.
Other player-reported issues:
- In Halo 2: Anniversary, while in Anniversary Mode on Xbox One X and Xbox Series X|S, framerate drops can occur.
- Players can be disconnected from an online match with a “Connection Interrupted” error.
- Please submit a ticket if you encounter this issue.
- In Halo 3, players can “freeze” several minutes into a multiplayer game.
- Please submit a ticket if you encounter this issue.
- In Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary co-op campaign, both players are sometimes returned to menus with a disconnect error when loading into the campaign if players have significantly different load times.
User Interface (UI)
- When rejoining an online multiplayer match, the list of team members on the loading screen will appear out of order.
- When playing split-screen on an Xbox console, signing out an account while playing Halo 3 or Halo: Reach online multiplayer may result in a crash.
- When playing Halo: Combat Evolved or Halo 2: Classic in split-screen on an Xbox console, pausing the game and accessing the Roster menu will allow a player to control another player's input.
- On the main menu, Steam players who select the Change Profile option in the Roster menu then close the resulting sign-in window may enter a sign-in loop.
- Workaround: use the steps included at the bottom of the "How to fix the Xbox Network sign-out loop" article to resolve this issue.
- The Elite character model in the Halo 2: Classic Customization menu has incorrect textures and coloring.
- Viewing Theater films of resumed Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST missions results in a "Film Error" message and no gameplay being visible.
- Pressing the Retry button after receiving a Sign In Error popup will result in a loop requiring a game restart.
- When a match host attempts to start the match but player(s) in their party do not have the necessary game content installed, players without the necessary content do not receive a prompt telling them they are missing content.
- In Matchmaking throughout Halo: The Master Chief Collection, the loading screen occasionally does not display the game variant icon or the game type text description in the lower left.
- In Matchmaking for Halo 3, Halo: Reach, and Halo 4, the loading screen occasionally switches the title of the map variant in the top left and the tool tips in the lower left.
- While using mouse & keyboard on PC, exiting the Create menu in the Custom Game Browser and the Report a Player: Other prompt requires pressing the Escape key twice.
- When watching Terminal videos in the Videos section of Extras, subtitles for some non-English languages have extra symbols.
- In the Extras menu, while watching a cinematic, pressing the “A” button exits the video instead of the “B” button. On PC, this is the “Space” key instead of the “Esc” key.
- In the Extras menu, the Halo 2: Anniversary cinematics do not have subtitles.
- When attempting to enter a multiplayer game in a party with a player who has an extremely poor internet connection, there is a chance the countdown timer will remain at 0 forever, causing a soft lock without an error message. If attempting to create a Custom Game Browser match, the host will encounter a hard lock and must restart the game.
- Shifting the computer’s focus away from the Halo: The Master Chief Collection splash screen that appears when launching the game occasionally causes it to become a background process. This requires a force close of the game from the task manager.
- Issues activating text chat can be caused by action mapping from the previous input.ini carrying over between updates. Deleting OpenTextChat_Keyboard from the input.ini may fix this issue.
- On PC, the game may freeze if the “Quit to Desktop” button is pressed shortly after loading the main menu
- When trying to “Save As” File Share game types and/or maps for titles you do not own, they will appear to be corrupted upon restarting Halo: The Master Chief Collection
- On Xbox consoles, mouse and keyboard settings revert to their default values when Halo: The Master Chief Collection is closed then re-opened.
- Gamepad settings do not revert to defaults when using "Restore to Default Settings" as a guest or secondary profile on Xbox
- While in the Settings menu, players encounter a “Save Settings” prompt after selecting Restore to Default Settings even when settings are already set to default
- Navigating to settings while disconnected from the Xbox network after loading out of game content causes a “Server Regions Invalid” pop-up to appear. The prompt can be dismissed by selecting Restore Defaults.
- If Halo: The Master Chief Collection is launched with HDR enabled, disabling HDR then re-enabling it causes the HDR sliders to stop functioning. Restarting the game fixes the issue.
Custom Game Browser (CGB)
- On Xbox consoles, leaving a Custom Game Browser (CGB) session, adding a Guest profile for splitscreen, then rejoining the previous CGB session may result in one of two errors:
- In Halo 3: players will create a private Custom Game rather than joining the intended CGB session.
- In all other titles: players will receive a “Connection Interrupted” error while loading into the CGB session.
- When joining a Custom Game Browser session using the Quick Match feature, party members may see the incorrect filters listed in the user interface (UI). The party leader's selected filters will be used as expected.
- The Game Categories in the Custom Game Browser's Filter menu lists modes that may not align with expected game variants in all titles. For example, Grifball in Halo 3 is an Assault game variant and Race is a VIP game variant, so the Grifball and Race game categories in the Custom Game Browser will not populate with those lobbies when searched.
- While using mouse & keyboard, double-clicking a player in the Roster while a session is highlighted in the Browse menu will join that session.
- Forge maps or custom Game Variants may appear as "Corrupt File" if the associated game is not installed.
- For some players, the Shared Files in File Share do not appear. The files still exist in File Share.
- If a file upload is not successful, there is no message indicating the status of the upload (such as “pending,” “failed,” or “canceled.”)
- Rarely, main menu audio is distorted or skips after sitting in the main menu for a long time.
- The Blurred option for the Subtitle Background setting appears as a black background on Xbox One and Xbox One S consoles.
- Some Color Palettes and Dialogue Palettes, such as Sunset and Iridescent, can be hard to read due to color contrast.
- Gameplay subtitles do not appear in Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST when the in-game text language is set to Chinese (Simplified and Traditional).
- PC and Xbox console Narrators do not read campaign warning popups when triggered by a controller or keyboard.
- Narrators do not read players' Joinable Status on the Player Details menu.
- New - When launching Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam Deck, selecting one of the available Anti-Cheat launch options will result in the game launching with the opposite launch option. For example, selecting “Anti-Cheat Disabled” will result in MCC launching with Anti-Cheat enabled.
- Until this issue is resolved in a future update, players on Steam Deck must select the “Anti-Cheat Disabled” launch option to access multiplayer matchmaking and the Custom Game Browser.
- To read Developer Notes about this Known Issue, visit the Halo: The Master Chief Collection (MCC) Steam Update – April 2023 article.
- New - Shortly after being removed from or leaving a party with other players via the Roster menu, players on Steam Deck may experience Halo: The Master Chief Collection freezing or crashing.
- New - Players on Steam Deck are unable to play Campaign Co-op or Spartan Ops with players on PC or Xbox consoles. Attempting to do so may result in players accessing gameplay, however, all sessions will eventually experience a “Connection Interrupted” error or a similar disconnection.
- Campaign Co-op and Spartan Ops will function as expected if all players in the group are playing on Steam Deck.
- New - Before playing input-restricted matchmaking on Steam Deck, players may need to change their preferred input device in-game to Gamepad. To change this setting in-game, follow the steps below:
- Launch Halo: MCC.
- Select Options & Career from the main menu.
- Select Settings.
- Under the Control tab, switch Preferred Input Device to Gamepad.
Known Issues by Game
To see known issues unique to each Halo game within Halo: The Master Chief Collection, check the corresponding links below:
Halo: Combat Evolved Known Issues
Halo 2: Anniversary Known Issues